Mandatory clash between two super-lightweights rescheduled for new year
Josh Taylor has been forced out of his next fight.
The undisputed super-lightweight world champion had been set to make a mandatory defence of his WBO crown before the end of the year.
Taylor, from Edinburgh, Scotland, was scheduled to meet WBO number one, Jack Catterall, from Chorley.
But the man who also holds the Ring Magazine, WBA Super, IBF and WBC crowns, has withdrawn from the contest, citing a knee injury, meaning that the fight which was nailed down for December 18 at the OVO Hydro Arena in Glasgow will now take place at the same venue in the early part of next year.
Top Rank, the company which promotes ‘The Tartan Tornado’ Taylor, has revealed that the fight will be rescheduled for February 26, 2022, exclusively live on Sky Sports in the UK and ESPN Stateside.
“I’m gutted I won’t be able to defend my title on December 18 as originally planned,” said Taylor. “But I wanted to make sure I was 100 per cent healthy to give my incredible fans the show they deserve.
“This homecoming has been a long time in the making and it will be worth the wait.”
Catterall, from Chorley in the North West of England, has a record of 26-0 with 13 quick and has been the number one challenger for the WBO title, a belt that Taylor won against Jose Ramirez back in May, for some considerable time.
And although he’s been forced to wait for his opportunity at global glory, the 28-year-old believes he will come out on top regardless.
“Everything happens for a reason,” he said. “I am gutted –– not just for me but for everyone who had planned to go.
“I will remain professional and continue working for the new date. 2022, I will be world champion. Obstacles like this are nothing new for me and I will turn the frustration into positive energy.”