Paul Butler willing to wait for Casimero WBO title shot

Paul Butler has said that he will wait for his shot at the world title after being installed as the mandatory challenger.
The former IBF bantamweight king has been in the number one position with the WBO for a sufficient period and the sanctioning body has now ordered the Ellesmere Port man to open negotiations about facing the current champion John Riel Casimero.
Both camps were contacted on Wednesday, with talks understood to be already underway as a purse bid is looked to be avoided.
“The WBO World Championship Committee hereby orders the parties herein commencement of negotiations for the above-mentioned WBO Bantamweight Mandatory Championship Contest,” Luis Batista-Salas, chairman of the WBO Championship Committee informed the promoters for both parties via official letter. “Please be advised that the parties have twenty (20) days upon receipt of this letter to reach an agreement.
“If an accord is not reached within the time frame set forth herein, a Purse Bid will be ordered pursuant to WBO Regulations of World Championship Contests.”
Butler has a record of 33-2 with 15 quick finishes and was last in action back in June at the Premier Suite at the University of Bolton Stadium in England, exclusively live on ESPN + Stateside and worldwide on iFL TV, as he outpointed Willibaldo Garcia over 10 rounds to earn the number one spot, while Casimero, who is promoted by MP Promotions, most recently claimed a 12-round win over former WBA Super world super-bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux in California in August.
The deadline for the talks between Casimero (31-4, 21 KOs) is October 12, at which point a purse bid hearing will be called by the WBO. Either side can request the fight go to purse bid at any point during the negotiation period. Should it reach that point, the fight will be made available to all WBO-registered promoters, provided they meet or exceed the $100,000 minimum bid limit.
Butler, however, is not holding out much hope of being the next in line for Casimero and said that an all-Filipino clash between him and Nonito Donaire could yet be on the horizon before the 32-year-old gets his fourth shot at a global honour, having previously faced Stuart Hall when winning the IBF bauble back in 2014, Emmanuel Rodriguez as he lost in a challenge for the same title in 2018 and, sandwiched between those, a knockout defeat at the hands of South Africa’s former holder of Casimero’s belt Zolani Tete.
“There’s nothing much to say at this stage,” Butler told Boxing News TV. “It’s all a little bit up in the air at the moment and it remains to be seen whether he [Casimero] goes the Donaire route first.”
Donaire (41-6, 27 KOs) holds the WBC bantamweight crown after knocking out previously undefeated titlist Nordine Oubaali inside four rounds back in May.
He had then agreed to replace Rigondeaux and face Casimero in a unification clash in August, only to remove himself from the mix due to a breakdown in drug testing procedures along with claims of misogynistic comments directed at his wife, manager and trainer Rachel Donaire Casimero offered an apology earlier this week to Donaire, who accepted the olive branch, but it didn’t come in time to resurrect the fight for 2021.
“If he does decide that that’s the way he wants to go, I’ll wait for my shot,” Butler continued, “because the fight was already agreed before he boxed Rigondeaux in August.”

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Posts