A purse bid was scheduled to take place on February 7th, however, an unexpected seven-day extension was requested by Hearn, who says both sides are close to a deal.
“We’ve got a purse bids date tomorrow [Feb 7th] but we’ve asked for a week’s extension from the IBF because I feel we’re very close to making a deal,” Hearn told Boxing News Magazine.
BNTV reached out to the IBF for clarification on the matter who confirmed that the purse bid has been postponed for seven days.
The exact reasoning behind the purse bid, however, still remains unclear. Logic dictates that Brook would get the best deal possible via purse bid, given that it’s a 75/25 split in favour of the champion. However, the business of boxing is often a complex one, with countless variables coming into play during contract negotiations and as such there could be a number of reasons for the delay.
However, for many pundits, the most logical reason for delaying the purse bid are the negotiations Brook is rumoured to be conducting with other fighters, such as Miguel Cotto.
If Brook were to choose not to fight Spence, he would, of course, have to vacate his title.
Spence has been promised a title shot regardless of what Brook chooses to do and IBF #3, Andre Berto, seems to be the standout opponent should the Brook fight fail to come through.