Carl Frampton has hit out at featherweight rival, Lee Selby, accusing the Welshman of wasting time during recent negotiations between the pair.
Frampton, a former two-division champion, is looking to return to action on July 29th in Belfast and had initially wanted to complete a trilogy of fights with the man who handed him his first defeat earlier this year, Leo Santa Cruz.
Talks of a trilogy quickly dissipated when it became evident that Santa Cruz was not willing to travel for the fight, despite Frampton fighting on foreign soil twice.
Selby, the current IBF Featherweight Champion, has always shown a willingness to throw his hat in the ring with fellow Featherweight Champions, however, as of yet, no deals have been made.
As is often the case, both teams are blaming the other for a breakdown in negotiations.
However, Frampton claims his team contacted the IBF and were told that Selby must make a mandatory defence against Jonathan Victor Barros next or he would be stripped of his title.
“I’m still expecting a big fight this summer in Belfast but it looks like it won’t be against IBF World featherweight champion Lee Selby who just seems to have been wasting our time during negotiations,” Frampton said in his Sunday Life column.
“We had been talking to TV networks about the fight with Selby who told us that it could happen despite him having a mandatory fight with Jonathan Barros. Then, myself and Jake McGuigan spoke to the IBF official who made it clear that Selby must face Barros next.”
“Barros had a medical issue earlier this year when his fight with Selby was called off just before the weigh-in when it was supposed to happen on the undercard of my fight with Leo Santa Cruz in Las Vegas. It is obvious now that Selby must now face Barros who is clear to fight.”